20 March 2010

Alex Janvier is on my list





I had intended to make this post a list. With the list I would add a complimentary or, at least, an impressionable photograph from my personal collection. As I was scrolling through I came across some photos I took last July while on a trip with my family to Ottawa, Canada's capital city. The pictures are various views of a mural painted on the ceiling of a grand stairwell in the Canadian Museum of Civilization. I remember craning my neck for a long time and being awed by the work. Not having written the name of the piece or the artist at the time, today I searched "ceiling art" at the Museum of Civilization's website. I was thrilled to find an unexpected amount of information about the actual work, titled "Morning Star" by Alex Janvier.


The paragraphs state details about the "features of the painting reflecting aboriginal values and philosophies." The circles, the colours and the four quarters are among the many symbolic features of the painting. Regardless of the symbolism I was (and still am) mesmerized when I view my photos of this piece of art.


An added bonus was found at the bottom of the text: a link to his web site. I felt like how my children do on Easter morning when they hunt for chocolate eggs. I couldn't wait to find information about him and view the artwork on his site. Fed up with my oohing and aahing, my daughter pulled herself away from beside me to venture to her own inspirational whim.


We can feel great pleasure from viewing art (or photos, or people, or cinema, etc.). But sometimes something we view knocks us speechless. Alex Janvier's work did that to me. I thank him. What a gift.


Back to my idea of posting a list tonight. There will not be a list here in this post as I had planned. However, Alex Janvier is a new and very definate member of my top ten favourite visual artists.

No comments:

Post a Comment