15 February 2011

Found: Brian Wildsmith books on my shelf


Detail of Brian Wildsmith illustration from Professor Noah's Spaceship

Every once and a while I remind myself to move away from my computer screen, and the world of beautiful, inspirational blogs, and go look at the books on my shelves.
Last week I found our (my husband's and my) copies of Brian Wildsmith books. We have each had these illustrated gems since we were children. The earliest one was published in 1970. According to his website he has illustrated over 80 books. Please visit the following links for wonderful interviews and more information about him. I could not do this prolific, British illustrator justice by giving small biographical details in this post.
Interview by Madelyn Travis here.
Interview by Susie Mesure here.
Turning the pages of these books I was awestruck with the intense and seemingly theatrical illustrations. The colours, the lines, the shapes, the textures. Wow! Below are a few detailed samples of his illustrations.

Detail of Brian Wildsmith illustration from The Circus
Detail of Brian Wildsmith illustration from The Circus
Detail of Brian Wildsmith illustration from Professor Noah's Spaceship
Detail of Brian Wildsmith illustration from The Rich Man and the Shoe-maker
Detail of Brian Wildsmith illustration from The Rich Man and the Shoe-maker

No comments:

Post a Comment